Sunday, March 20, 2011

Unconditional Love

It is usually in the early morning hours, after I get Rusky or Norah back to sleep, when I think about my parents. I usually have the urge to call them, but I don't think they would appreciate a 5 a.m. wake up call.

I enjoy thinking about the times when I felt very taken care of - waking up to tea and toast, mom making the everyday things extra special e.g "the hikers special" or dad driving across the country to help me start a new life. My parents went the extra mile to demonstrate their love.

But I also think about the times when it must have been very difficult to love me. As I was reading the book Hold Me Tight I saw myself in a lot of the examples of a person who pushes people away if I feel vulnerable in some way. I remember being very much like that with mom and dad. But no matter how bitchy or stand-offish I was they stood by me. It is very comforting to know that your family is there for you no matter what. I know that they love me, even if they don't always like me:) I didn't understand unconditional love until I became a mom.

I hope that Norah and Russell always know my love is unconditional.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful way for a mom to start her day. Thanks. xx